The MOCKE Emergency Steering Cord for kayaks and surfskis was designed to provide emergency directional steering if your rudder line or cable snaps.
When one of your rudder lines or cables snap it is virtually impossible to steer in a straight line. Your paddling outing immediately turns into a rescue situation. With the MOCKE Emergency Steering Cord you are able to attempt a self rescue while you wait for assistance.
IMPORTANT! ALWAYS fit the emergency steering cord to your craft as soon as you receive it BEFORE placing the emergency steering cord in your lifejacket or equipment hatch.
Fitting the emergency steering cord to your craft:
- Remove the emergency steering cord from its bag.
- Place the canvas noose around the tail of your craft.
- Hook the stainless steel tiller hook around or through the rudder cable/line attachment point.
- The Shock cord (elastic/bungee) should be pulled tight but not fully extended. It should not be slack.
- The cord should pull the rudder tiller back just past centre.
- If the stainless steel hook cant reach the tiller then increase the size of the noose using the slider and ladder lock.
- If it reaches too easily and the cord is slack then decrease the size of the noose using the slider and ladder lock.
- Once fitted place it back in the bag and store in your PFD or craft equipment hatch.
- Hopefully that is the last time you ever have to use it.
Using the Emergency Steering Cord:
- Locate and take the emergency steering cord out of its bag. Place the noose over your wrist; you don’t want to drop it.
- Raft up with another paddler.
- If alone you will need to get in the water. Remain leashed to your craft.
- Open up access to the rudder tiller or steering mechanism at the back of your craft.
- If you are rafted up next to a fellow paddler give them the the emergency steering cord.
- Slip the noose over the tail and hook the stainless steel hook onto the tiller, ON THE SAME SIDE STILL CONNECTED TO THE PEDALS.
- The cord will pull the rudder back to centre (or just past) and you will be able to steer.
- One size fits most surfskis and kayaks with understern rudders.
- Comes in an easy-to-stow mesh bag with attachment loop.
- Adjustable noose fits over the tail of your craft.
- Strong stainless steel hook to hook onto rudder tiller.
- High quality, strong 5mm shock cord.
- Always inspect your Emergency Steering Cord before paddling.
- After regular contact with salt water wash in soapy water, rinse with fresh water and hang up to dry out of direct sunlight.